Saturday, December 11, 2010

Disappointments down on the Farm 2010 edition.

As Yankee fans are waiting for Cliff Lee to decide who he wants to play for next year I thought I would get my mind off the situation by making a blog post. So I thought I would look at some players who I was hoping to have good years and didn’t quite do it. The farm system as a whole had a great year, these are some guys who I was hoping would do well.

1. Bryan Mitchell. Coming into this year Mitchell was the number 11 prospect. His scouting report was a 88 to 92 mph fastball that could touch 94. That wasn’t even Mitchells best pitch which was a very good curveball which BA said could be the best in the system. Reading the scouting reports and the face it looked like Mitchell was going to start at Low A I was really excited. Mitchell ended up going to the Gulf Coast league to pitch. While he was good there he wasn’t great. The biggest concern was the BB/9 which was 4.8. He did have a good K rate at 7.8 per 9. Mitchell will be 20 years old going to Low A next year so hopefully he will have a great year to push himself back up to almost a top 10 prospect.

2. Nik Turly. I’ve always been a big Turley fan. Big lefties have a place in my heart. This was the year that I was sure the Yankees would send to Low A. Hurley was 20 years old going into the year and had been with the organization for over a year going into this season. He went to Staten Island to pitch and was ok. His K rate was ok at 6.9 but the big lefty had a 4.2 walk rate. I think Turley is starting to run out of time with the Yankees. If he doesn’t go to Low A again and probably really dominate I think he will go to college. Good thing for Turley he got a full ride paid for by the Yankees.

3. Caleb Cotham. He was considered a fast risers if he was healthy. Probably for Caleb was he wasn’t. He had surgery and didn’t pit at all. Hopefully starting next year he can be healthy and be a fast mover.

4. Jairo Herredia. What to say about Jairo. Mike A over at RAB had nicknamed him the Dominican Hughes. Well Hughes never took his conditioning in question. For 2 straight years Jairo has done that and struggled. To make matters worst the Yankees moved him over to relief pitcher. The guy is 20 for the whole year but the Yankees moved him to relief. Not a good sign. Hopefully Jairo decides that he wants to be a big pitcher and comes to next year ready to pitch.

5. Evan Deluca. He is another guy I had heard some hype going around after the 2009 draft. Deluca is a big time lefty that the Yankees decided to go hard after at the deadline of the draft. There were reports the he had a great arm but has no idea where the ball is going. Looking at his stats I think that is very accurate. He had a 10.4 K per 9 but a 8.3 BB per 9. Luckily for Deluca he is still young so hopefully in instructional league they were able start to harness his big time left arm.

Those are 5 guys in the system that had down years. Seeing the list I’m surprised that I didn’t have any position players. That being said the Yankee farm system has been all about pitching for some time, only recently has Damon Opp has drafted some high upside position players. Now out of these guys some still have good upside, especially Bryan Mitchell. I have a ton of confidence in him out of this group of guys. Hopefully next year all of these guys will have had good seasons to either improve their prospect status or make them prospects again.

No comments:

Post a Comment